Saturday, February 20, 2016

.Birth


I have always said
(and I think this is true)
if I had an older brother
he would have no younger brother.


Bob Komives

So it was
on May 4, 1943
as two of my sisters waited in my home-to-be,
(on Van Buren, six blocks away)
and two in my school-to-be
(Saint Columba, seven blocks away)
I arrived
at the Northern Pacific Benefit Association Hospital
on Charles Avenue,
Saint Paul,
Minnesota.
The hospital I would visit again, again and again
with broken fingers,
evil appendix,
Osgood Slaughter,
gashed wrist,
and the like.

It is the place to which I ran
after I saw a terrible lightning bolt strike,
heard its boom.
The hospital chimney!
I ran at my top speed to see this brick giant.
Yes, a jagged, open rip from top to bottom.

It is hard to believe my memory,
but I see myself there standing alone,
as if I were first on scene,
mouth open to this destructive miracle by nature.

It is hard to believe my memory,
but I also remember standing nearby,
a few years earlier,
propped by my dad's hand on the hood of his car.
My mother was in the hospital,
a patient
waving to me from a second-floor window.
She had to see her son on his first birthday.

It always seemed normal
(and I know this is untrue)
that my father’s railroad should put our hospital
where I could run to it,
walk to it,
whenever I needed it.
Once I went with a policeman in his car.
But that must be another story
so that this story can conclude:
I was born.




Bob Komives :: Fort Collins © 2013 :: Birth:: 1306


No comments:

Post a Comment

your thoughts?