Friday, March 27, 2015

If I Were Not Afraid To Be The Fool






If I were not afraid to be the fool
I would play openly with children's toys,
drink cheap scotch from time to time,
eat fried Spam out of nostalgia,
wear white socks and loafers.
I would not twice-check my zipper.
I would not worry that you laugh at me,
because I enjoy helping you laugh.
I imagine I could even speak of sport 

          in symphony hall,
and, in Lisbon, 

          call forth my few words of Portuguese.
I would be unafraid to praise our enemy
--criticize our friend.
I would admit I still love you.

If I were not afraid to be the fool
I would dance when I feel dance,
and,
as I always do,
I would sing off-key,
--but loudly again as un-harnessed child.
If I were not afraid to be the fool,
indeed,
I would be less foolish.





If I Were Not Afraid To Be The Fool
Bob Komives




Bob Komives :: Fort Collins  © 2007 :: If I Were Not Afraid To Be The Fool :: 0708

No comments:

Post a Comment

your thoughts?